Apple today landed 35 Primetime Emmy Award nominations, including 20 nominations for âTed Lasso,â which broke records by becoming the most nominated comedy series this year, and the most nominated freshman comedy series in history. The winners of the 73rd Annual Primetime Emmy Awards will be announced at a televised ceremony on September 19, 2021.
Appleâs global comedy phenomenon âTed Lassoâ dominated across major categories with 20 nominations, including Outstanding Comedy Series; Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series for Jason Sudeikis; two nominations for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for Hannah Waddingham and Juno Temple; four nominations for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series for Brendan Hunt, Brett Goldstein, Jeremy Swift, and Nick Mohammed; three nominations for Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series; two nominations for Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series; and two nominations for Outstanding Single-Picture Editing in a Comedy Series.
Apple also earned nominations across 10 total programs, including âMythic Quest,â âCentral Park,â âServant,â âBillie Eilish: The Worldâs A Little Blurry,â âBoys State,â âMariah Careyâs Magical Christmas Special,â âBruce Springsteenâs Letter To You,â âThe Year Earth Changed,â and âCarpool Karaoke: The Seriesâ for this yearâs Primetime Emmy Awards.
âSince launching less than two years ago, perhaps what we have cherished most is watching programs like âTed Lasso,â ‘Mythic Quest,â âCentral Park,â âBillie Eilish:The Worldâs A Little Blurry,â âServantâ and more be embraced so passionately by audiences all over the world,â said Zack Van Amburg, Appleâs head of Worldwide Video. âWe continue to be captivated by hearing the personal stories of viewers who have been deeply affected by these brilliant characters and the journeys they have taken with them. From all of us at Apple, we send our warmest congratulations to everyone involved in bringing these unique stories to life and for this well-earned distinction.â
âNothing is more exciting for us than witnessing our exceptionally talented cast and creative teams be recognized for their extraordinary work. We love the evolution and growth of the stories being told across all Apple Originals, and we canât wait for audiences to experience even more in the upcoming seasons,â said Jamie Erlicht, Appleâs head of Worldwide Video. âIt is an incredible achievement for so many of our programs to be recognized by the Television Academy today across these different categories and we couldnât be more proud of everyone involved.â
- Outstanding Comedy Series: âTed Lassoâ
- Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series: âTed Lasso,â Jason Sudeikis
- Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series: âTed Lasso,â BrettÂ Goldstein
- Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series: âTed Lasso,â BrendanÂ Hunt
- Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series: âTed Lasso,â NickÂ Mohammed
- Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series: âTed Lasso,â JeremyÂ Swift
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series: âTed Lasso,â JunoÂ Temple
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series: âTed Lasso,â HannahÂ Waddingham
- Outstanding Cinematography for a Single-Camera Series (Half-Hour):Â âServantâ
- Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series: âTed Lasso,â Zach Braff
- Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series: âTed Lasso,â M.J. Delaney
- Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series: âTed Lasso,â Declan Lowney
- Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series: âTed Lasso,â Pilot
- Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series: âTed Lasso,â âMakeÂ RebeccaÂ GreatÂ Againâ
- Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series: âTed Lassoâ
- Outstanding Original Main Title Theme Music: âTedÂ Lassoâ
- Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative Program (Half-Hour): âTedÂ Lassoâ
- Outstanding Sound Editing for a Comedy or Drama Series (Half-Hour) and Animation: âTedÂ Lassoâ
- Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Comedy Series: âTedÂ Lasso,â A.J. Catoline
- Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Comedy Series: âTedÂ Lasso,â Melissa McCoy
- Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy or Drama Series (Half-Hour) and Animation: âTedÂ Lassoâ
- Outstanding Picture Editing for a Nonfiction Program: âBillieÂ Eilish:Â TheÂ WorldâsÂ AÂ LittleÂ Blurryâ
- Outstanding Music Direction: âBillieÂ Eilish:Â TheÂ WorldâsÂ AÂ LittleÂ Blurryâ
- Outstanding Sound Editing for a Nonfiction or Reality Program (Single or Multi-Camera): âBillieÂ Eilish:Â TheÂ WorldâsÂ AÂ LittleÂ Blurryâ
- Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Nonfiction or Reality Program (Single or Multi-Camera): âBillieÂ Eilish:Â TheÂ WorldâsÂ AÂ LittleÂ Blurryâ
- Outstanding Character Voice-Over Performance: âCentral Park,â StanleyÂ Tucci
- Outstanding Character Voice-Over Performance: âCentral Park,â TitussÂ Burgess
- Outstanding Narrator: âMythic Quest,â Anthony Hopkins
- Outstanding Sound Editing for a Comedy or Drama Series (Half-Hour) and Animation: âMythicÂ Questâ
- Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Special: âBoys Stateâ
- Outstanding Directing for a Documentary/Nonfiction Program: âBoysÂ Stateâ
- Outstanding Narrator: âThe Year Earth Changed,â DavidÂ Attenborough
- Outstanding Contemporary Makeup for a Variety, Nonfiction or Reality Program (Non-Prosthetic): âMariahÂ CareyâsÂ MagicalÂ ChristmasÂ Specialâ
- Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Variety Series or Special – âBruceÂ SpringsteenâsÂ LetterÂ toÂ Youâ
- Outstanding Short Form Comedy, Drama or Variety Series – âCarpoolÂ Karaoke:Â TheÂ Seriesâ
Last year, in its first year of eligibility, Apple made its Primetime Emmy debut with a historic 18 Primetime Emmy Award nominations, including for programs âThe Morning Show,â âBeastie Boys Story,â âDefending Jacob,â âCentral Park,â âHome,â and âThe Elephant Queen.â Apple Original series, films, and documentaries have now been honored with 117 wins and 471 awards nominations in less than two years.
Jason Sudeikis is Ted Lasso, an American football coach hired to manage a British soccer team â despite having no experience. But what he lacks in knowledge, he makes up for with optimism, underdog determination â and biscuits. The widely acclaimed series also stars Hannah Waddingham, Brendan Hunt, Jeremy Swift, Juno Temple, Brett Goldstein, Phil Dunster, and Nick Mohammed. Sarah Niles joins the cast this season as Sharon, a sports psychologist who has been brought in to work with AFC Richmond.
In addition to starring, Sudeikis serves as executive producer, alongside Bill Lawrence via his Doozer Productions, in association with Warner Bros. and Universal Television, a division of Universal Studio Group. Doozerâs Jeff Ingold also serves as an executive producer, with Liza Katzer as co-executive producer. The series was developed by Sudeikis, Lawrence, Brendan Hunt, and Joe Kelly, and is based on the pre-existing format and characters from NBC Sports.
With the quarantine finally over, season two of “Mythic Questâ finds everyone back in the office (well, almost everyone), attempting to build upon the success of âRavenâs Banquetâ by launching an epic new expansion, but Ian (Rob McElhenney) and the newly promoted co-creative director, Poppy (Charlotte Nicdao), struggle with the gameâs direction. Meanwhile, C.W. (F. Murray Abraham) reconciles some unresolved issues from his past, the testers (Ashly Burch and Imani Hakim) test the bounds of an office romance, and David (David Hornsby) loses yet another woman in his life as Jo (Jessie Ennis) leaves him to assist Brad (Danny Pudi).
Created by Rob McElhenney, Charlie Day, and Megan Ganz, âMythic Questâ is executive produced by McElhenney and Day under their RCG banner; Michael Rotenberg and Nicholas Frenkel on behalf of 3 Arts; and Jason Altman, Danielle Kreinik and GÃ©rard Guillemot for Ubisoft Film and Television. David Hornsby and Megan Ganz also executive produce. The series is produced for Apple TV+ byÂ Lionsgate, 3 Arts Entertainment, and Ubisoft.
âBillie Eilish: The Worldâs A Little Blurryâ
âBillie Eilish: The Worldâs A Little Blurryâ tells the true coming-of-age story of the singer-songwriter and her rise to global superstardom. From award-winning filmmaker R.J. Cutler, the film offers a deeply intimate look at this extraordinary teenagerâs journey, at just 17 years old, navigating life on the road, on stage, and at home with her family, while writing, recording, and releasing her debut album, âWHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?â âBillie Eilish: The Worldâs A Little Blurryâ is from Apple Original Films, an Interscope Films, The Darkroom, and This Machine production in association with Lighthouse Management & Media.
A political coming-of-age story, âBoys Stateâ is a raucous journey into the heart of American democracy through an annual rite of passage in which a thousand teenage boys from across Texas come together to build a representative government from the ground up. High-minded ideals collide with dirty tricks as four boys of diverse backgrounds and political views navigate the challenges of organizing political parties, shaping consensus, and campaigning for office. Through impeachment threats, dramatic debates, and even nefarious internet memes, âBoys Stateâ charts the twists and turns of these intersecting stories, revealing profound truths about our political choices and civic obligations, exposing the political fault lines in Texas and in our nation, and reminding us, ultimately, that democracy is not a spectator sport. âBoys Stateâ is a Concordia Studio presentation of a Mile End Films production. It is executive produced by Laurene Powell Jobs, Davis Guggenheim, Jonathan Silberberg, and Nicole Stott.
âCentral Parkâ is an animated musical comedy about the Tillermans, a family that lives in Central Park. Owen, the park manager, and Paige, his journalist wife, raise their kids Molly and Cole in the worldâs most famous park, while fending off hotel heiress Bitsy Brandenham and her long-suffering assistant Helen, who would love nothing more than to turn the park into condos. âCentral Parkâ is created, written and executive produced by Emmy Award winner Loren Bouchard (âBobâs Burgersâ), alongside Grammy Award winner Josh Gad (âFrozenâ) and Emmy Award winner Nora Smith (âBobâs Burgersâ). Sanjay Shah and Halsted Sullivan also serve as executive producers. The series hails from 20th Century Fox Television.
âBruce Springsteenâs Letter to Youâ
âBruce Springsteenâs Letter to Youâ captures Springsteen recording âLetter To Youâ live with the full E Street Band, and includes final take performances of 10 originals from the new record. Written by Springsteen and directed by his frequent collaborator Thom Zimny (âWestern Stars,â âThe Gift: The Journey of Johnny Cash,â âSpringsteen on Broadwayâ), the film is a tribute to the E Street Band, to rock music itself, and to the role it has played in Springsteen’s life.
âMariah Careyâs Magical Christmas Specialâ
Faced with a holiday cheer crisis, the North Pole knows thereâs only one person who can save the day: Santaâs great friend, Mariah Carey. Combining musical performances, dynamic dancing, and groundbreaking animation, the undisputed Queen of Christmas jumps into action to create a holiday spectacular to make the whole world merry.
âMariah Careyâs Magical Christmas Specialâ is executive produced by Carey, as well as Ian Stewart, Raj Kapoor, and Ashley Edens for Done + Dusted. BAFTA Award winner Hamish Hamilton and Oscar nominee and Golden Globe winner Roman Coppola direct, and also serve as executive producers, and the special is written by Caroline Fox.
The second season of âServantâ takes a supernatural turn with a darker future for all lying ahead as Leanne (Nell Tiger Free) returns to the brownstone and her true nature is revealed. âServantâ is created by BAFTA-nominated executive producer and writer Tony Basgallop. In addition to Shyamalan and Basgallop, âServantâ is executive produced by Ashwin Rajan, Jason Blumenthal, Todd Black, and Steve Tisch. Taylor Latham and Patrick Markey also serve as executive producers.
âThe Year Earth Changedâ
Showcasing footage from around the world after an unprecedented year, âThe Year Earth Changedâ is a timely documentary special that takes a fresh new approach to the global lockdown and the uplifting stories that have come out of it. From hearing birdsong in deserted cities and seeing whales in Glacier Bay, to meeting capybara in suburbs across South America, people worldwide have had the chance to engage with nature like never before. In this documentary special, viewers will witness how the smallest changes in human behavior â reducing cruise ship traffic, closing beaches a few days a year, identifying more harmonious ways for humans and wildlife to coexist â can have a profound impact on nature.Â The documentary, narrated by David Attenborough, is a love letter to planet Earth, highlighting the ways natureâs resiliency and ability to bounce back can give us hope for the future.